About Me

My name is Abby. I am a student at the University of Nebraska-Kearney in the United States. I will be studying abroad for 11 weeks at Palacky University in the Czech Republic. I would like to share my adventures and travel tips with family and friends. Follow me as I adjust to living and studying in a foreign country. I'll share all my experiences, whether good, bad, or ugly. Enjoy!

Friday, May 11, 2012

May 10: Bouzov Castle

Bouzov Castle
View from Castle

Yesterday we took another field trip. This time we saw a castle that looked like a fairytale castle. There was a stone wall around the entire castle. There was also a draw bridge and dry moat! The castle was built to protect a trade route between Olomouc and Loštice. It was built for private use and remained in possession of families until the 19th century. It then became a tourist attraction. We saw several rooms within the castle and a hidden passageway. The view from the balcony was gorgeous. The hills were green and full of trees.

Statue of Saint Elizabeth
The courtyard had a well and several statues. One of the most common statues was of Saint Elizabeth. It was said they she always gave food to the poor. Her husband caught her one day and told her if she did it again he would kill her. She continued anyway. One day her husband caught her and told her to show him what was in her skirt. When she showed him, the food had miraculously become roses. For risking her life to feed the hungry, she was became a saint. It was a short trip, but I enjoyed seeing the quaint, little castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment