About Me

My name is Abby. I am a student at the University of Nebraska-Kearney in the United States. I will be studying abroad for 11 weeks at Palacky University in the Czech Republic. I would like to share my adventures and travel tips with family and friends. Follow me as I adjust to living and studying in a foreign country. I'll share all my experiences, whether good, bad, or ugly. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

South Bohemia (Kutna Hora, Bone Church, Budvar factory, Český Krumlov)


Bone Church


 Our last trip as a group was to the region of South Bohemia in the Czech Republic. On our way to the city of Kutna Hora, we stopped in the small town of Sedlec and visited a church decorated with human bones. The church contains thousands of skeletons from a mass grave that was created after the Plague struck Europe.

One of four mounds of skeletons

St. Barbara's Cathedral
 In Kutna Hora, we visited St. Barbara’s Cathedral which is the sister church to the cathedral in Prague.
Inside Barbara's

Budvar beer tasting




On our way to Český Krumlov, we stopped in another small town and toured the Budweiser Budvar factory. We had the best tour guide. You could tell she loved her job and loved people, of course I would love my job too if I got to drink beer with every tour group.   

Fairytale city of Český Krumlov
 Finally, we arrived in Český Krumlov, the town that looks like a fairytale. I loved exploring this little town and wandering the streets. The views of the castle were beautiful. We toured the castle and learned about the ruling family of the Rosenberg’s and their symbol of the rose and bear. Bears used to guard the castle and there are still a few bears there today. After the castle, we toured the theater. It is one of two theaters still standing today. All the others burned down or were otherwise destroyed. I loved seeing how the plays were put on and was astounded when we told the scenery on stage could be changed in ten seconds. Another favorite part of this town was walking through the castle gardens. They were absolutely huge and took you back in time. 


Dance moves at our last dinner as a group

Jan carrying Lisa's suitcase because the wheels fell off from the cobblestones...

I immensely enjoyed the trip to South Bohemia and cannot wait to have another chance to keep exploring the Czech.

No comments:

Post a Comment