About Me

My name is Abby. I am a student at the University of Nebraska-Kearney in the United States. I will be studying abroad for 11 weeks at Palacky University in the Czech Republic. I would like to share my adventures and travel tips with family and friends. Follow me as I adjust to living and studying in a foreign country. I'll share all my experiences, whether good, bad, or ugly. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

London

Katie at the Sherlock Holmes museum

Tons of people enjoying the nice day

The famous telephone booth


 We arrived in London around noon on Saturday. We were instantly overcome with the fact that everything was in English and we could read signs and understand conversations. It was a bit overwhelming coming from the Czech Republic where you can barely read anything or understand anyone. We felt the same way in Dublin. London is home to the oldest metro (subway) system in the world, called the Tube. It was quite easy finding our way to our hostel, simply because everything was in English. We were also used to metro travel by this point. Our hostel was another story. It was more of a large house with rented bedrooms. We had two bunk beds in our room and they were so close together that I had to walk sideways between them. We decided to spend as little time as possible in our room. So we dropped off our bags and headed to find some food. We spent that afternoon just hanging around the neighborhood of our hostel. The next day we headed out early to do all of our site seeing.

Buckingham Palace

Westminster Abbey

Big Ben and Parliament view from London Eye

The London Eye


Tower Bridge
 It was an unusually hot day in London and with all the walking we were doing I was quite warm. There was also a marathon going on that day so many of the main streets were blocked off for the runners. This was the end of our trip so we were all tired of spending money and London is awful expensive, so we just walked to all the sites and simply saw things instead of doing tours. We saw Big Ben and Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, the Sherlock Holmes museum and London Bridge. We packed in a lot that day. We did spend money on the London Eye, which is a giant Ferris wheel. The wheel is located on the edge of the Thames River and has a great view of London, specifically Big Ben and Parliament. I really enjoyed walking down to see Buckingham Palace and seeing where William and Kate were married and had their first kiss.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoyed London. It is one of the best cities in the world. I love how busy it is! We stayed in a lovely london apartment which was stunning! I was lucky that it was so central so I could visit all of these great places!. The Sherlock Holmes Museum was a highlight of my trip! I am glad you enjoyed it to! Where are you onto next?

    ReplyDelete